Discover our fascinating collection of over 5,000 artefacts, including paintings, ceramics, banners and other objects connected with Primitive Methodist chapel and Sunday School life.
Items of particular significance include:
- objects used by the founders of the movement – Hugh Bourne and William Clowes
- ‘chest of drawers’ pulpit used at one of the preaching places, c1805–1810
- printing press on which Primitive Methodist literature was produced, 1821-43
- first pipe organ used in Primitive Methodist worship, 1828 (restored by Alan Goulding in 2007 as a gift to Englesea Brook)
- over 100 banners, the largest collection of religious banners in the UK
It is not possible to have all the objects on public display in the Museum at any one time, but we rotate them to increase access as far as possible. There is always something different to see!
In addition to the Museum itself our new Museum Store, opened in 2021, allows visitors access to more of collections. Guided tours are available during opening hours by appointment. Come and enjoy this unique resource!